Navigation

Support

Sibling projects

RIFE powered

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

Blogs : Archives

< Terracotta 3.1: Introduction to Examinator   The sanitization of Ehcache's Cache constructors >
Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.1, my MacBook Pro startup and shutdown was much slower than before.

I searched for a quite a while on forums to find the solution, but nobody seemed to know a solution. I finally figured out what it was. It seems that somehow the ownership of my startup volume's root directory (/) wasn't assigned to the root account anymore, but to my account instead. This made the kernel prelinking fail since it requires that root is the owner.

This is how you solve this after launching the Terminal app:

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

You'll have to enter your password after the first command.

Hope this helps someone, since it was really frustrating to have these slower startup/shutdown times for me.

posted by Geert Bevin in MacOSX on Sep 20, 2009 11:09 PM : 31 comments [permalink]

Comments

Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Kudos Geert! You just solved this annoying problem for me and speed up my MacBook Pro on startup. Thanks. Scott Philadelphia Wedding Photographer
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Worked on older MacBook, 50% drop (spinning time), thanks.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
I know a friend I'll refer this to - he's having sames issues. Thanks for the info!! =)
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Good work in finding that. M-Audio's M-box re-assigned my permissions and I think this fixed it.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
How do you run the initial test to identify whether the ownership of my startup volume's root directory (/) is NOT assigned to the root account anymore, but to my account instead? I don't want to try your fix and potentially cause add'l system problems if it isn't applicable. Thank you in advance.

Hi Jimbo,

Open a terminal and write this (it lists the contents of your top-level hard disk directory without finder hiding stuff):

sudo ls -al /

You'll see something like:

oak:~ gbevin$ ls -al /
total 37220
drwxrwxr-x 38 root admin 1360 Nov 19 16:56 .
...

The line with the single dot should say 'root admin', if it doesn't, you need to execute the instructions in the post.

Take care,

Geert

Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Hey, how come when i input the first command + my password it says no such file or directory? : (
and i also get this after the 2nd command... help please T-T

InternalModemSupport.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Probably because you typed the '/' wrong or something.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
It's the key beside the "shift" right?
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
OH NVM... I GOT IT.... you don't type the password in...yet.... hahahaha.... thx thx~!!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
I deleted the post that showed your password :-)

Take care,

Geert
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
haha thanks for your consideration but it wasn't my password at all : )
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
hmm..couldn't comment anywhere...btw, what happened to the Channel Intelligence lawsuit? I couldn't really find any information on google? Much interested to know what happened to the companies that were affected by this lawsuit. anyone please let me know.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
CI silently went away and I never heard from them anymore after I made a fuzz about it on the internet and refused to talk to them. I had to close the comments on those posts since there was too much spam going on :/

Thanks for caring!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Wow I should say after days of research from internet resources I eventually reduced my shutdown time from 20s to 5s after read this post. Thanks!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Thanks!Thanks!Thanks from Russia! It working! Mac OSX 10.6.4 loaded quickly. Best regards!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
O-M-G I will never forget this. It helps right away man. You're awesome!
THANKS and it works well on 10.6.5!!:D
strongly recommended to someone that has the problem with slow bootup and shutdown time.:)
It works!
Beautiful:
My Startup were from the chime sound to Apple logo to login window: 65s and 96s!:'(
After resetting PRAM and NVRAM I got 16s and 43s :/
After you tip above I got amazing 6s until the Apple logo appear and 21s to the login window!!:D
THANKS A LOT!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
It didn't work for me. What did I do wrong? I typed and followed exactly, but it said:
MaxtorPowSecDriver.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.
thanx alot!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Hi There, I tried your solution to my grandson’s Mackbook and it did not work. When I did the test command, I got about twenty lines of code, It takes the MB about 2 minutes to boot up,.... was I supposed to check the box to create the command in a shell? Please pardon my lack of knowledge on this, but I entered each line in under a" new command” from the tool bar. Am I supposed to enter the entire command in the same screen?
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Here is what I got when I typed the test command....is this why it's taking so long to boot up???

Password:
total 37996
drwxrwxr-t 30 root admin 1088 Apr 1 21:23 .
drwxrwxr-t 30 root admin 1088 Apr 1 21:23 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 dasab123 admin 15364 Dec 19 12:36 .DS_Store
drwx------ 3 root admin 102 Sep 23 2009 .Spotlight-V100
d-wx-wx-wt@ 2 root admin 68 Apr 1 21:44 .Trashes
---------- 1 root admin 0 Jul 9 2009 .file
drwx------ 3 _unknown _unknown 102 Apr 1 22:09 .fseventsd
-rw-------@ 1 root wheel 720896 Dec 1 2009 .hotfiles.btree
drwxr-xr-x@ 2 root wheel 68 May 18 2009 .vol
drwxrwxr-x+ 41 root admin 1394 Apr 1 21:21 Applications
drwxrwxr-x+ 60 root admin 2040 Apr 1 21:23 Library
drwxr-xr-x@ 2 root wheel 68 Jul 9 2009 Network
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Apr 1 21:27 System
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 60 Dec 1 2009 User Guides And Information -> /Library/Documentation/User Guides and Information.localized
drwxr-xr-x 7 root admin 238 Apr 1 21:44 Users
drwxr-xr-x@ 6 root wheel 204 Sep 23 2009 private
drwxr-xr-x@ 67 root wheel 2278 Apr 1 21:23 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 11 Sep 23 2009 tmp -> private/tmp
drwxr-xr-x@ 10 root wheel 340 Sep 23 2009 usr
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 11 Sep 23 2009 var -> private/var
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Another great big 'thank you'. Fixed my problem on my MBA rev C after I had tried all the usual suspects to no avail.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
This worked wonders, thank you so much!!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
You are a genius! It saves me minutes now booting up. Shutting down is speedier too.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Thanks, this worked great! I installed a Seagate Momentus XT drive about 9 months ago and after a while of enjoying fast boots, was wondering why my MB was lately booting so sluggishly, taking around a minute for the log-in screen and maybe another 30 seconds to launch everything. The problems seem to have started after cloning over a full system from an MBA onto this older MB. Boot is now 25 seconds to the log-in and 9 seconds after the password until 5 apps are launched. It's amazing to watch the apps load so fast once again. Bookmarked for future reference.
thanks alot :)
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Amazing, its very simple, but I kill much time to fix this problem, thanks to the author.
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Will this also work with other versions of OS? I have lion 10.7 i believe and my start up time is around 40 seconds, im hoping this will work like it did for everyone else!
Re: Fix for slower startup and shutdown times since Snow Leopard 10.6.1
Wow this actually worked thanks loads!!!

Add a new comment

:) ;)
=) :-)
:'( :(
:/ :D
:| :p
:o 8)
Your email address will not be displayed at anytime on any page.
Only provide your email address if you'd like updates on this entry
and it's comments by email.
Please answer this simple math question:
10 - 4 =