Navigation

RSS 2.0 New Entries Syndication Feed Atom 0.3 New Entries Syndication Feed

Show blog menu v

 

General

Use it

Documentation

Support

Sibling projects

RIFE powered

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

Blogs : Latest entries

< Previous page 
I'm now officially a Laszlo contributor!

Today, I received an email from Amy Muntz of Laszlo Systems announcing me that my scrollinputtext component has been integrated in the Laszlo 3.0 incubator.

I'm now also listed as an official Laszlo contributor ... nice! :-)

... now if they would only get it ported to another runtime than Flash, I would be using it all the time ... an Ajax version would be very sweet!

posted by Geert Bevin in Laszlo on Apr 26, 2005 7:08 PM : 0 comments [permalink]
 
First Laszlo integration in existing site

A few weeks ago, one of our customers wanted to have real-time TV listings on their site. The currently airing program always had to be shown together with the one that follows. This information is provided by another company through pushed XML streams. Every time the information changes, we receive a new XML file on our server through secure copy.

I wrote a trivial scheduler task that picks up the last one of those files every five minutes and stores it straight into the RIFE content management back-end. This made it very easy to always provide the latest version of the information from the same URL.

Writing the Laszlo application was extremely straightforward. It fetches the XML directly from the server and lays it out automatically thanks to Laszlo's excellent data-binding features. Since the information is higher than the available height, I let the content pane scroll as soon as the lay-out is finished. When the scrolling is done, the application fetches the latest XML again, lays it out ... and round and round it goes.

I had one minor problem that was related to Flash's weird rounding habits. This caused the icons and the text to not be in sync and slightly fluctuate. It was quickly solved with the help of Henry from Laszlo Systems. He didn't hesitate to look at my code and pinpoint the problem. I just had to add the pixellock="true" attribute to the data bound view.

All in all it took me a couple of hours to write and the application is only 70KB in size! The customer is very satisfied and it was a pleasure to develop. I'm sure that I'll be reaching for Laszlo more and more for this kind of functionalities.

This is the result:

posted by Geert Bevin in Laszlo on Apr 26, 2005 6:18 PM : 4 comments [permalink]
 
RIFE plugin for X-develop

RIFE's first IDE plugin has been released for the X-develop IDE.

Currently it highlights the RIFE template tags in XML/HTML templates and provides a collection of smart code templates to quickly insert new tags. We plan on adding more features later, but the X-develop plugin system seems to have to mature a bit more first. The first feature on the wanted list is to be able to write custom resolvers for code hyper-linking. With this, you would be able to jump between sites, element declarations, element implementations and templates directly by just hovering over the code. I can barely wait to be able to add this!

You can download the plugin from java.net.

Some screenshots:

syntax highlighting code templates appearance configuration

posted by Geert Bevin in RIFE on Apr 25, 2005 3:39 PM : 0 comments [permalink]
 
JHighlight 1.0rc released

JHighlight is an embeddable Java syntax highlighting library that supports Java, HTML, XHTML, XML, and LZX languages and outputs to XHTML.

The library can be used in several ways:

  • embedded into another tool (for instance a blog or forum),
  • through the command-line to generate highlighted files locally, or
  • as a servlet filter to highlight source files on your server on-the- fly.

It also supports RIFE templates tags and highlights them clearly so that you can easily identify the difference between your RIFE markup and the actual marked up source.

The project has been developed by Uwyn bvba/sprl and has been made possible thanks to gracious source code donations of Omnicore Software.

More information

posted by Geert Bevin in Java on Apr 24, 2005 12:21 PM : 0 comments [permalink]
 
How I got rid of java.lang.OutOfMemoryError on our server

Eliot blogged about getting OutOfMemory errors after some days of running a web application.

This happened to me too and I spent almost a week trying to track down the leak with a whole arsenal of tools ... and it turned out there was no leak.

Most JVMs allocate memory on the heap for almost everything, except for reflective data. That is put in a separate location which is a section of the heap that is reserved for permanent generation. This gets easily filled up when you dynamically load an unload classes, or have a large number of classes. I simply added the following options to the java executable and all my worries were gone:

-XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

My entire command for Sun's JVM looks like this now:

java -server -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M
     -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

Hope this helps someone.

posted by Geert Bevin in Java on Apr 21, 2005 2:52 PM : 35 comments [permalink]
 

< Previous page 
 
 
 
Google
rifers.org web