Blogs : Latest entries
|< Previous page|
It sports a modern web administration interface to handle all common tasks and a public logging section with an advanced web search. It also provides a remote IRC messaging REST API to allow easy integration with notification services. Installation is done by simply dropping a war in your servlet container or by running it straight from the standalone distribution.
The highlights of this release are:
Visit the homepage at for more details:
You can see it running at:
Download it from:
After the initial launch of Bla-bla List, I received many interesting comments and remarks (and a whole shitload of pointless messages too, but I'll just let those be for what they are). One of the features that some people seemed to be criticizing, was that the small and compact Laszlo interface always stayed fixed and never could be resized. Supposedly, Laszlo was to blame for this, which is not true.
I developed most of Bla-bla List's current UI with Laszlo 2.2.1 and ported it over to 3.0b2 in two days, just before announcing it. I did this since I wanted Bla-bla to be able to support international characters through unicode. However, in the haste I overlooked a feature of the previous 3.0 beta release (v3.0b1), which allows your canvas to be specified as percentages and be dynamically resized.
This morning, I thus spent an hour changing all dimensions to correctly adapt to a resizing canvas. The result is a fully resizable Flash application written in Laszlo. Even though I'm still not fully sold on a Flash UI, this brings it one step closer to being a worthy contender to plain HTML interfaces.
Almost two months ago, I wrote a blog post about Ta-da List. I wondered why it even took 600 lines to write if Ruby on Rails was as revolutionary as the authors claimed. Some people said that I had to back up my statements by implementing it myself in another technology, and that's what I did. The result can be seen at http://blablalist.com.
The application has 752 lines of Java code (empty lines, comments and imports removed) and 155 lines of XML code. This is only 300 lines more, while Java and XML are a lot more verbose than the Ruby language. It's certainly a lot less than the triple size that some people predicted. Now, let's leave the LoC wanking behind us.
Bla-bla List does a number of things differently and has some additional features:
Since I think that a number of people might prefer my implementation, I decided to host Bla-bla List myself in a similar fashion as Ta-da.
I'm quite interested in rich internet technologies and I'm planning on building a number of other client-side tools that communicate directly with the REST back-end. For instance: an Ajax and a Xul version of the current GUI, a MacOSX Tiger Dashboard widget, IDE plugins (IDEA, Eclipse, Netbeans), a Gnome applet, a mobile phone version, ...
This will make the application much more useful and provide an open-source comparison base for these technologies.
Have fun with Bla-bla!
This has mainly been a release with bug-fixes and minor convenience changes.
Thanks to the great feedback we've received from users on the previous release, we're confident that the 1.0 mark has almost been reached. Since there were still a couple of new features added, we're first releasing this interim release candidate.
Below are the highlights of this release.
You can also read the full changelog for more details.
In prior versions you were forced to declare each element in a separate file if you chose to use XML for the definition of your site structure.
The XML site structure now supports all the element declaration statements in-line. So if it doesn't make sense for you to have re-usable declarations, you can just centralize everything in one file.
For example, this is the new Hello World site structure:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE site SYSTEM "/dtd/site.dtd"> <site> <element id="HELLOWORLD" implementation="tutorial.helloworld.HelloWorld" url="/home"/> </site>
We've extracted the mail queue from our Bamboo forums project and ported it to all the databases that RIFE supports.
This allows you to
create mails with simple POJOs and just put them into the queue. At
regular intervals, the queue will process them and send them. To be able
to use the mail queue, you need to have the
The queue is stored in a database and you install the structure as follows:
make the queue run at regular intervals, you have to activate the RIFE's
scheduler. It's the easiest to use the in-memory scheduler. You do this by
adding the following line to your
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE scheduler SYSTEM "/dtd/scheduler.dtd"> <scheduler> <task classname="com.uwyn.rife.mail.executors.DatabaseMailQueueExecutor" frequency="*/3 * * * *"> <option name="datasource">postgresql</option> <option name="smtp_server">localhost</option> </task> </scheduler>
The format of the
To send a mail all you have to do is this, for example:
DatabaseMailQueueFactory.getInstance(datasource).queue(new Email() .to("email@example.com") .from("firstname.lastname@example.org") .cc("email@example.com") .bcc("firstname.lastname@example.org") .subject("this is the subject") .body("and the body of the mail"));
I just stumbled into PhotoBlox.
It is an image viewing application that can be embedded into a personal blog template or Web page. It totally relies on Flash's multi-media capabilities and Laszlo's ease to dynamically fetch external data and display it. The application loads fast, works in almost every browser and looks great in multiple sizes. For applications like this, none of the other RIA solutions that I know would fit the bill. Well, maybe Flex would, but I doubt that anyone would pay at least 14400 € in licensing to be able to run a photo blogging tool
|< Previous page|